Jacquelyn H.
Topic: Skin Cancer
Essential Question: What is the best way to treat skin cancer?

Monday, April 23, 2012

Blog 24: Independent Component 2


Literal
(a) Statement saying: “I, Jacquelyn Huynh Vu, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.” 

(b) Explanation of what you completed.

Similar to my first independent component, I am taking a math class at Cal Poly and I have completed an additional 30 hours (total of 110 hours) of volunteering at El Monte Hospital.  

Interpretive
Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.

1.  Math class:  I am taking Pre-Calculus on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 2:15-3:20 at Cal Poly.  
2.  El Monte Hospital:  Click here for my log of hours.  I volunteer usually two days a week for 3-5 hours at a time.  As a volunteer, I mainly help out with working in the front entrance and delivering things like flowers or working in the emergency room and helping with paperwork. And I have shadowed different people like their radiology therapist. 

Applied
How did it help you answer your EQ?  Be specific and use examples.

1.  The math class is helpful because it prepares me for Calculus.  For me to get into medical school or do something significant with patients with skin cancer, I need to take a certain level of math courses. 
2.  I am not working with anybody that specifically works with patients with skin cancer at El Monte Hospital.   But I am working in the hospital environment to give me a feel for what the field is like. For example, in working in the emergency room, I see the stress related to patients and workers when  there are serious issues going on there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment